Lock him up. He's a menace to society.
Okay how did this guy, not a student, not a worker, get into the student housing building? They said he went to show a key and they saw a gun. Did he have a key? Why was he there at all? That is what worries me most what was he doing there?
Crandall squared off on the biggest student in the group. He felt small and needed a weapon to feel equal and would've shot him if he'd gotten on that elevator. Crandall was frightened for no reason.
The fact that he was carrying a weapon in an unauthorized area should result in him not being able to own firearms anymore. He does not seem to have the proper judgement to be entrusted with firearms.
Nope. He doesn't deserve forgiveness. He deserves to be charged with assault and anything else the DA can stack on. Those young students showed a lot of presence of mind and restraint to save themselves from the worst Crandall was capable of.
How in the world is SYG even legal? Come on FL. Walk on over to our century already! It's ridiculous. He had that gun out in his hand just WAITING for an excuse to use it. And he had it ready so that he could back up his racist behavior with the threat of death.
Well, I hope they find something to prosecute this guy with. It was clear he try to start a fight in order to shoot one or more of the students. Florida's SYG is being misuse by bad people to kill others.
"Butterfield said the encounter with Crandall started when the four students were waiting outside the apartment complex for their friend to let them in to join a party. He came out, again, to reiterate the point and that's when Butterfield started recording the events on his phone."----------------------------------
This is terrible writing.
"The incident sparked widespread anger after a video of it went viral on social media, and led to the man being fired by the hotel he worked as a general manager at."------------------------------------
Who wrote this article?
This racist jerk was looking for any excuse to start shooting in supposed "fear of his life." That's why he pulled out his gun and held it, he was just trying to provoke those kids to lose their cool. I have to say the kids showed a heck of a lot more level-headed behavior than that jerk. This could easily have turned into something very tragic.
This man,like many more like him, feels empowered by the elected executive of the country. My observation has been that those i have observed are cowards. If they come in contact with a group of blacks they have a gun. If they come in contact one on one with a black man they keep on stepping. A black woman is a soft target so they will attack her. I suspect that's why the police have killed so many black men. They approach the car in fear. I wonder if blacks will ever start arming themselves in large numbers like whites? Just a thought.
When you have no proprietary interest your "ground" is only that small space you occupy at the momemt, not an entire apartment complex.
from tampabay comPublished: June 1, 2012Updated: February 17, 2013 at 06:09 PM
Among the findings:
• Those who invoke "stand your ground" to avoid prosecution have been extremely successful. Nearly 70 percent have gone free.
• Defendants claiming "stand your ground" are more likely to prevail if the victim is black. Seventy-three percent of those who killed a black person faced no penalty compared to 59 percent of those who killed a white.
• The number of cases is increasing, largely because defense attorneys are using "stand your ground" in ways state legislators never envisioned. The defense has been invoked in dozens of cases with minor or no injuries. It has also been used by a self-described "vampire" in Pinellas County, a Miami man arrested with a single marijuana cigarette, a Fort Myers homeowner who shot a bear and a West Palm Beach jogger who beat a Jack Russell terrier.
• People often go free under "stand your ground" in cases that seem to make a mockery of what lawmakers intended. One man killed two unarmed people and walked out of jail. Another shot a man as he lay on the ground. Others went free after shooting their victims in the back. In nearly a third of the cases the Times analyzed, defendants initiated the fight, shot an unarmed person or pursued their victim — and still went free.
• Similar cases can have opposite outcomes. Depending on who decided their cases, some drug dealers claiming self-defense have gone to prison while others have been set free. The same holds true for killers who left a fight, only to arm themselves and return. Shoot someone from your doorway? Fire on a fleeing burglar? Your case can swing on different interpretations of the law by prosecutors, judge or jury.
• A comprehensive analysis of "stand your ground" decisions is all but impossible. When police and prosecutors decide not to press charges, they don't always keep records showing how they reached their decisions. And no one keeps track of how many "stand your ground" motions have been filed or their outcomes.
Claiming "stand your ground,'' people have used force to meet force outside an ice cream parlor, on a racquetball court and at a school bus stop. Two-thirds of the defendants used guns, though weapons have included an ice pick, shovel and chair leg.
This garbage is getting ridiculous and it's due to that stupid stand your ground law where any insecure white man can get away with murder.
Artificial stand your ground....even though it wasn't even his ground. Guy is dangerous. Should deport him to where he came from.
Well remember in Florida you can stand your ground~what ever tf that means.
Stupid is as stupid does.
I guess Don Crandall didn't know that racism is a job killer.
Just a second...First I thought it was students who weren't allowed into a hotel because they do not live there. Instead it is that they were going to a party. OK, now I don't like guns, don't own any, and no one needs to have one pulled on them. Just on the safe side though, anyone can change how they speak and act after they have started the video. No one but the parties involved know what happened prior to that video.
Floridians, it's past time to repeal SYG. This is the kind of behavior that being allowed to shoot others with impunity engenders.
DeSantis will hire him in a jiffy for his security detail.
.38 cal courage.
Take away this man's right to keep and bear, please. We want responsible gun owners. Not idiots given courage by a firearm.